HEY y’all! I wanted to do a fun post for today because I am so excited to be sitting in my “office” finishing up on some bible reading & time spent with Jesus. My hubby & I moved into our first new home last year & I am just now getting around to sprucing up my “office space”! For a couple of months, this room was a wedding shower gift holder until my awesomely great cleaner of a mother came and helped me clean it out! After a couple of months of motivation, we finally started turning it into my dream. I have always wanted a quiet space to meet with God in, write, & create things. We were blessed with a three bedroom house where I could do just that! It’s still under construction since I only have one of about 10 wall hangings that I actually want up but, hey, it’s a start! Enjoy my little quiet space we formally call the “office” since it has a printer. In reality, it’s my prayer and writing room. And the place where our Penny loves to catch a few zzz’s!
In your office/prayer/create room, you must have:
1. Lovely typography! I absolutely love this one from Pray, Live, Create! These words are inspired by the 42nd Psalm where David writes, “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.” I have had to pray these exact words, “still I will praise you” a lot over the past few months. I want my heart to know that no matter what happens, still I will praise my faithful God. It’s a great reminder to have sitting around! One of these days, I want to frame it. If you haven’t checked out Pray, Live, Create, you should! You will love Steph & Kim. And did I mention their printables are free?!
2. Organization! I certainly do not enjoy a messy desk although that’s normally how it is half the time. But these cute little organizers that I snagged from Kirklands for under $7 are perfect for a little desk like mine! You can also find them very cheap at places like TJ Maxx. Plus they add a pop of color on my light grey wooden desk.
3. A really cute puppy! You can’t have Penny, our Siberian Retriever puppy, but I do recommend getting a little thing. Although I suppose a baby would suffice. 😉 Penny loves laying at my feet whenever i’m at my desk. She doesn’t leave my side anyway so she loves to just relax and play with her toys for a while.
4. A good devotion! If you have read my blog for the past couple of months, you KNOW how much I love a good devotional. Especially this little gem!! Beth Moore is my favorite women authors and although this book is mostly you writing your own prayers to God, she is so good at guiding you & getting you excited about how AWESOME our God truly is! A good devo is essential to any prayer room! If you would like any recommendations, please let me know!
5. Coffee. Oh yes. Of course, it wouldn’t be official without a good cup of hot coffee or tea. My husband and I have this “thing” where we buy a coffee mug anywhere special that we travel to. This one is from one of last year’s trips to Pikes Peak, a beautiful place, where God’s creative hand is fully seen.
6. A place to post prayer requests, thoughts, and/or bible verses! On one of our walls in this room, we have a full chalkboard wall. We started out posting weekly bible verses but, to be honest, this is the same verse from like September of 2013. Fail. But I still love it! Maybe one day when kids come along, they can enjoy this wall a little more than we do. 🙂
7. A smelly good candle is essential for any room. Of course, I recommend opening it first. That normally helps. Obviously, you can tell that I don’t have the energy to open this lovely little candle up but for I think I’m just waiting for the right time… mhm….
8. His Word! My bible is essential to my room because it’s where I love to spend time with God and how can you hear from Him fully without His word?! My husband and I have been reading the OT (for almost a year now) and I am finally in Job. Don’t judge. Mama is slow at reading ancient text. I have had to stop for weeks at a time just to camp out in one verse. It’s a lot to take in! But after getting through 2 Chronicles, I have learned & enjoyed so much of His Word. Not that I didn’t before but I can only handle so much battle, killing, & priestly duties.
9. A desk. And handles 😉 I encourage you to get some handles on your desk if you haven’t already…. okay, fine, I’m probably the only person without handles on my desk just because my sister and I painted & repurposed it and I just haven’t gotten around to finishing up the handles & knobs. Call me lazy. It’s okay. I can sorta kinda claw each one open when I need a journal or pen. Kinda.
10. Books! I love love love reading. I mostly enjoy Christian teaching books but I have the occasional Life of Pi or Christian mystery fiction. My favorites lately are 7 by Jen Hatmaker, any Beth Moore book, & Love Does by Bob Goff. I am about to start reading Total Forgiveness by R.T. Kendall with my small group ladies & The Meaning of Marriage by Tim Keller with a summer women’s bible study group! I also found Radical and Kisses from Katie that I am dying to get back into. Ah, so little time!
11. Character & Memories! I have a few pictures of my husband and I sitting around the room adding character and love to my room. The priceless piece on the left is me at my prime. Aka 5 years old with the easter bunny and my awesome mom. Woop Woop. The book on the right is a book I made for my husband and I before we got married. It is filled with engagement pictures and lovey dovey quotes & letters to him. Treasures 🙂
Hope you enjoyed a little peek into my everyday life! Part Two will be coming soon. Be on the look out! Go into your day with peace and joy and hope because Jesus loves you more than ever & He has a great purpose and plan for you!